
On February 28 I ran in the ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run, which is a 5k and 10k race which kicks off the Houston Rodeo (which we've learned is HUGE down here). I had been looking forward to the race and running with my friends Jennifer, Angela and Erin, however sickness got the best of me and it wasn't such a great race for me.
The afternoon before the race I started feeling pretty bad and since Perri had been sick a few days earlier with strep and pink eye, I decided to go to the dr. just in case. Well, ended up I had strep too and by that evening was feeling horrible. I had been looking forward to the race and decided I'd still give it a go.... Got up Saturday morning not feeling too bad, had three doses of antibiotic in me and took some pain meds for my throat. All was well until I actually started running and quickly learned that was a really, really bad idea. Jenn went on ahead and Ang hung back with me through I believe the worst run of my life, physically. Now 6 miles is not a lot for me and we run that two times a week and then a longer run on the weekend, but by 1.5 miles I was not feeling good at all, and felt like I was going to pass out. Luckily, a water station came up not long after I started feeling so bad and that helped some. I seriously contemplated stopping due to thinking I was going to pass out but am glad I finished the race. Thought not my ideal time and pace for the race, I still finished 22 out of my age division of 600 and 89th out of 2710 women. Over all there were over 12,500 runners. Ran a 7.42 minute/mile and finished in 47.52. Okay but could've definitely done better. Ang finished right behind me and Jenn finished two minutes ahead! Erin ran the 5k and they don't do time chips on that :(
Afterwards we met up with the husbands and kids and went to Pappasitos, for some lunch. Overall it was a really fun day and I can't wait to redeem myself in another race!!

Stole this pic from Erin of Perri in our friend's daughter Selma's cowboy hat.

After the race. It was pretty cold so as soon as the race was over I put on my shirt, so no full running attire pics. Craig tried to take pics of us running but that's difficult while wrestling a toddler who doesn't want to sit in a stroller. And yes, those are booty shorts I run in. I've found they're my favorite shorts to wear when running. Loose shorts just aren't near as comfy for me and I feel like they get all tangled up in the legs haha. Weird I know.
2 comments:
Oh my gosh girl! You are my hero!! I could never dream of running that fast of a pace, even on my best day ever. How do you do it?? Have you been running for a long time?
I was there too. It was such a zoo! I didn't end up running since I was helping out with the event this year. I hope you are feeling better!
girl I know I told you this already but Ill say it again You are such a strong girl to run with strep and feeling like crap. You gt major props my friend.. I did awesome.. probably better than I could do completely healthy. HA HA see ya manyana
Post a Comment